Thursday, September 25, 2008

Writer's Workshop

Thanks to Mama Kat for doing this each week. There are a few weeks that it has kept me writing.

Today's prompt that I chose is: write a letter to someone you miss greatly. The first thing I thought of when I read this prompt was that you should write a letter to someone who has passed away but when I read A Day in Rhonda's Life I realized that it doesn't have to be someone that has passed. Rhonda, I really enjoyed your post!! So back to business!!

When I decided to do this prompt three wonderful people came to my mind. All three have gone on to heaven but are thought of a lot here on earth. I've decided that instead of doing a letter that I'd just like to talk about each person briefly and tell you what they meant to me.

The first one being my Granny Hazel! Oh what wonderful times we had together! She was a wonderful influence on my life even though I lost her when I was only ten years old. I miss her everyday of my life! She was such a petite and proper woman. She was always dressed nice and always had her jewelry on! I guess this is where I get my love of jewelry!! She got very sick during the later years of her life, she developed a severe case of asthma from smoking for many years, this would be the reason I do not smoke! It was an asthma attack that took her life when she was only 65 years old. She could sew anything you wanted her to, she even taught sewing lessons in the small town of Atkinson where we used to live. There she also owned and operated "Hazel's Fabric Shop" I spent many days there playing while she worked since I was with her during the day because my mom had to work. Granny was a great cook! I always enjoyed getting to eat at her house especially when there was a special occasion. There are lots of other very fond memories that I have of her that will always be in my heart forever! I also share those memories with my daughter Hazel and will share many more with her! Granny, I miss you more and more everyday and wish you were here beside me to share the joys of my life! But I will see you again, someday!

The next person would be my Papa! We had some good times too!! He and Granny were always so much fun to be with! I got to spend a lot more time with him, he didn't pass until I was 17. He would always take me to school and pick me up in the afternoons. Unfortunately the last few years of his life were spent in a nursing home after he had a bad stroke. I will always remember the kindness he showed to everyone. He also owned his own business, the only Amoco station in Atkinson! He was a kind man but he would tell you what he thought about you or a situation in a minute. He was always honest in telling you what was on his mind, no matter what it was. He did embarrass me on a few occasions that I remember vividly! There was one particular time that happened that turned out to be the most embarrassing moments of my life! That was the subject of some English papers that I would have to write in high school about the subject! To my Papa, one of the biggest lights of my life, I miss you and love you very much!! I will see you again, someday.

Last but not least, Mr. Steve! I spent most of my life without my father but Mr. Steve did a mighty fine job of filling in! My father left my mom and I when I was 3 years old. Mama and Mr. Steve started dating when I was in fourth grade, I think. He was a very special part of my life and my mother's. He was always there for us no matter what. He and my Papa did a fine job being father figures to me but they each had different places in my heart. I remember Mr. Steve buying me the things that I wanted (but didn't necessarily need) that my Mama couldn't afford to buy me. I just can't say enough nice things about him. He never said a harsh word about anyone. He was everyone's friend. He was a hardworking, christian man! I think he worked everyday of his life until he was so sick and weak that he couldn't. I know that God prepared a very special place in heaven for him just as he has a very special place in my heart and in my family's heart!! Mr. Steve, I love you and miss you so so much!! I'll never forget all the wonderful times we had! I'll be seeing you again someday!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Great memories.... thanks for sharing!!!

Rachel said...

You had great people in your life...that was a sweet post!

Where you been girly? Just write about nothing...those seem to end up being the best posts!

Nan said...

Yes Melissa, we still have the cat. We are taking her (we think) to thevet today to see if she has a locator chip. We aren't sure what we are going to do with her yet. But, I will keep you posted!

Weeksie50 said...

Aw, great memories.
Sweet post.
Thanks for sharing..

Lex the mom said...

You really had a wonderful set of grandparents & step dad to look up to. They seem to have made a very valuable impression on you.

This was a wonderful post to read. Thanks for sharing.

KatBouska said...

So sweet. It sounds like you've been blessed with some pretty spectacular people in your life. It's nice to know you have people looking over your shoulder.

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. They sound like very special people.