Saturday, July 12, 2008

In honor of my hubby!!!!

Today the princess (my daughter) and I will be attending a building dedication at my Mother's church. You are probably wondering why I've titled this "in honor of my hubby" So I'll tell you! This building is their new fellowship hall. My hubby designed and drew the plans for this building so this is just "one" of his babies. The princess and I are so proud of our Daddy!!!! He works so hard to provide for our family and we really appreciate him and his hard work and dedication. So, I thought that since I was thinking about him and honoring him I would post one of his favorite receipes. I don't cook this much during the summer but we sure eat it a lot in the fall and winter!! He actually named it, I just called it Potato Soup but he thought it should be personalized so it's Mel's Potato Soup! BTW, he's the dude that started calling me Mel!! We think I should open a restaurtant named "Mel's Diner" :)

Without further adue here's the famous Mel's Potato Soup! I love you hubby!!!

Mel's Potato Soup

8 to 9 potatos, peeled and diced
6 to 8 slices of bacon
1/2 stick of butter
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup half & half
3 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 cup sour cream

Cut bacon into small pieces and fry. Drain the bacon on paper towels. Add the butter to the bacon drippings and melt. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes, mild, broth, salt, pepper and heat throughly. Stir in half & half and parsley and cook until potatoes are almost done. Stir in sour cream and cook until potatoes are tender.

**You may add the bacon back into the soup or sprinkle it on top of your soup with some cheddar cheese.

1 comments:

Caroline said...

Every time I think of coming to your house, I am reminded of the great breakfasts you cooked us when we would spend the night. The smell of bacon frying, coffee brewing, and biscuits baking. MMMMMMMM! I'll be there in 4 hours.